Sunday, January 13, 2008

oh toto...

Today justin and i got the unique opportunity of attending a southern baptist church service. His company had done some work on their new building so we went to represent in the inaugural service.
Um...so i'm not even sure how to explain my experience. To tell you the truth, my head is still spinning. But i'll give it a try.
It was unreal. Seriously i thought to myself, "We canNOT be seriously within a half hour from downtown Portland right now" and "How did all these people find each other?" and "Wow. Are they serious?"and "huh. Soul winning on Wednesday nights. I wonder if i'd be any good at that?" and " I'd bet my lucky charms that there is not one non-republican in the room" and "it's so good to know there's a balm in gilead" and "i haven't sung this song in at least a decade or two" and "they have got this thing down to a science" which was really rather awe inspiring. No joke. A half a second MAYBE lapsed between service elements.
I was wearing an outfit that i have recently worn to a wedding, yet i was still moderately underdressed. And justin totally forgot his suit and tie (oh those construction guys, jesus love em). Also, being that i do not own hot rollers, i'm not sure i could've fit in even if i had been wearing nylons and a floral print dress.
Anyway, it was really sorta fun, the people were sure nice ( i shook a LOTTA hands) , and it was a VERY INTERESTING (and budget minded) cross-cultural experience. I fully recommend it. Seriously.

oh, and we got a free mug so win/win

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"That's RIGHT!"

Anonymous said...

"Amen!"

Angie said...

Oh, I've been to one of those. For a collage class, History of Gospel Music 30something.