Wednesday, November 21, 2007

YIKES!

So i'm not sure how it happened exactly.
I was almost positive i could go just about my whole life without having to actually cook a turkey let alone host a holiday meal. But somehow we turned down three different chances to bring a salad, pie, rolls, etc... and i find myself hosting (aka preparing) a thanksgiving meal for fourteen.
Anywho, my biggest worry is how to get it all done at the same time.
So far on my menu are Herb Roasted Turkey and Gravy, Slow Cooker Stuffing, Gourmet Sweet Potato Classic, Green Bean Casserole, Grandma Jo's Famous Mashed Potatoes, and Old Fashioned Paradise Pumpkin Pie (that i am going to attempt to make from Blythe's field trip pumpkin). I delegated my usual salad and rolls to my mother and my dad will bring one of his apple pies.
So... wish me luck!

Happy Thanksgiving! (i'll let you know how it goes)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would help you if you were in town. I was really going to offer but then I remembered you are leaving.


So...have fun, and, I'm really sad that I can't send you picture messages while you are gone. That really takes the fun out of the holiday.

-Ash

Anonymous said...

I wish we would have been able to join you guys, I could have helped a little! I am sure you did a great job.

Anonymous said...

Here's a review from one who's belly is still rejoicing:

The Turkey was perfect. It had a hint of rosemary, lemon and a bunch of other flavors I didn't recognize because I was too busy saying "mmmmmmmhmhmhmmmm" and eating more.

I'm not a big stuffing fan but it was really good...for stuffing.

Don't tell my grandma but Rachel's Grandma's Cheesy Mashed Potatoes were better than Grandma's. I think it was the garlic, additional cheeses and extra cream. Ridiculously good!

I'm also not usually a big sweet potato fan, even with the marshmallows. But once again, with all the brown sugar and whatever else she put in there, they were tasty.

OK, now for the dessert: Cream Cheese Pumpkin Pie. Wow. Seriously, wow!

Well done, Rach. You didn't think this out very well though. We'll be hosting every year now. That's fine with me. Dishes have never been so worth it. And thanks for the mashing forearm work out.

rachel said...

Doubtful since most of the regulars didn't join us.
(aren't you just a little bit embarrassed to admit you are such a foodie? anne and ashby would be soo proud)

What he didn't mention was how it took two days of prep work to make this meal but that was ok cause everyone helped (i didn't have to peal one potato!) and the only really stressful part was when my parents let me know AFTER the turkey was already in the oven that they would be an hour and a half late. So after my mild panic attack subsided i took a few breaths, turned the oven down and everything turned out ok.

Ironically that reminds me of a side note- a friend was venting to me yesterday for a while and then she apologized because i "never whine".
I thought you'd all find that probably even more amusing than i did.

Anonymous said...

You don't actually whine. I'll agree with that one. Whining doesn't have near enough capacity to encompass or express the atrocity of Vijay taking 47 minutes to get 3 people through his line at Fred Meyer. Whining just doesn't cut it for the true injustices of the world.

Justin.

Anonymous said...

Awww...I wonder what will happen to Fred Meyer once Vijay stops working there.

I think the world will be a different place.