Monday, September 24, 2007

Cancer seems such a mean way to end a person

GreatGrandma Loves- Easter 2007


It's just amazing how it can just ravage a body in a matter of weeks, until there is simply nothing left. Sallow, wrinkled skin loosely draped over a shell of a person continuing to attempt to fight off the inevitable.
I know that death is a part of life. It happens. I guess i just wish that it didn't have to happen this way.
And i wonder how much worse, and painful, and drawn out we make it with all our amazing "medical advances".
Also, even though i accept death for what it is, it is so strange to witness someone a step away. I have seen it three times now. Once with a friend with aids(that was the worst), and twice now with cancer.
I really hope God has something really really wonderful waiting for these beautiful people as they go to join him. It is horrendous how he asks them to leave life.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I was in the hospital room with my Grandma when she went home. It was hurrendous. I wish I hadn't been there at that moment. The women in that bed was not the person in my memories. I almost passed out as I saw her take her final breaths. I'm so glad I know that she went home to be with Christ. I think it's the only thing that keeps the hospital memory from being a nightmare.

Anonymous said...

I sold windows to a couple today in Hillsboro. The wife has stage one ovarian cancer. They discovered it early so she has an 80% chance of surviving. The doctors are still recommending chemo-therapy and she and her husband are torn about what to do. Chemo will more than likely keep the cancer in remission but it'll make her sick, cold and weaken her immunity just as winter hits. I don't want to say it seems worth it from this distance. What would you do?