Thursday, November 13, 2008


The past couple days i've had the privilege of sitting by my grandpa's side as he prepared for heaven. On Tuesday my family and i sang some of his favorite hymns to him, and though he was mostly unresponsive, we were told that hearing is the last sense to go, so i'm sure that it blessed him. I know it did us.
That night i got some time alone with him while my aunt and parents went for dinner. I held his warm strong hand and read to him Psalms, of God's great love for us and of our inheritance in Christ, and from Revelation, marveling at the things which he was to soon see and experience first hand.
Grandpa was not able to communicate much with us that day. He would attempt a murmering response at times, and seemed to acknowledge what was being said in his ear. But it wasn't until i gave him a hug and kiss goodbye and told him i loved him, that he slowly opened his eyes to look into mine and say "i love you too". How incredibly blessed i feel, and understand it to be a gift straight from God, that those were the last words i heard him say.
Yesterday, i spent more time with Grandpa, but he was further from us. The only response i witnessed was wiggling of his toes as times- when asked a question or while we were singing. And finally, even that was gone. (I wondered if he was getting sick of hearing us sing, i worked my way through 2/3s of a hymnal, but figured he could let me know someday if that was the case)
Watching him struggle to take each and every breath, i prayed for peace, comfort and even a spirit of anticipation for him. That Jesus would come and take his hand to lead him straight to paradise, and grandma (I sure don't know if that's how it works, but i have suspicions, and it doesn't hurt to ask). And i prayed for strength and hope for his adoring children and grandchildren surrounding him.
Last night, in the final minutes of what was my grandmother's birthday, he left us to be with her and his Lord. I am so thankful for the peace, the answered prayers and the legacy of strength, faith and love that grandpa has left behind.
He will be missed terribly but we know we will see him soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's absolutely beautiful. I'm gonna miss him so much. We had an amazing set of grandparents, didn't we?

Zac

PS - I'm blogging anonymously because I forgot my password. Must say something about the current state of my brain...

rachel said...

That we did my friend. My only regret is that which is "common to man" i think- i wish i could have spent more time with them the past decade so my kids would know them/their legacy in a more real way.
Sigh.
I am so thankful for you and the time you made to spend with them the past few years. I know you meant so very much to them, and i know your family appreciates your efforts and kindness also.

Cathy said...

What a beautiful tribute, Rachel. And what a special gift you were given. I know hard, sad days and times will come for the family left here in this world, but what joy to know Who he's with now...and you can look forward to the day when you're reunited. Losses like these are never easy, but I'm so glad that he and your family knows where their hope is. ...but I'm sad for you too...

Jenn Sanders said...

Wow Rach. I'm sorry. I didn't know you were going thru this.
Sounds like you really got to spend some good time though.

Anonymous said...

rachel, thank you for posting about this. we are incredibly blessed to have been born of such a legacy. my mom's mom went to see her Jesus last year. kinda jealous of those last words to you though. that was a gift, no doubt.

keep writing about all the things you loved about him so your kids may read the details one day & know.