Monday, October 29, 2007

Waiting

So my dad is heading down to be with his family.
The hospice people think that today could be the day she leaves us.
I wonder how much we have a role in how long we stay in these broken bodies. It, as far as my limited knowlege goes, sure seems to play a part.
How we find a balance between not wanting to leave loved ones, and maybe fear of the unknown, and releasing ourselves from the pain of this life once we have permission to (and maybe to even eagerly anticipate the inconceivably better things).
Anyway, i suspect the waiting and watching that struggle is probably the hardest thing when it is someone you love.
And the whole thing is totally and completely out of your hands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel insignificant and powerless when I think about cancer and death. What would I do about it? There are some things my best efforts simply won't budge. How does your perspective change when you know you're dying soon? Death feels so far away, so out of sight and mind for me. I wonder what the statistics are for people who survive to be 80-90. I wonder if that's what's unusual. I don't wonder enough to look it up though.